September 6, 2012

Spicy (or not so spicy!) Mexican vegetarian casserole


Once a week, the boy goes to tafe, so I am left to cook for one. While most weeks, I revel in eating eggs on toast as a crazy nothing-dinner, this wee I decided to attempt an old favourite – the one-pot wonder.
This is one of those great things where you can just chuck everything in a pot, whack it in the oven and enjoy it later.
I chose the vegies we had already, but you could add just about anything to this and it would work. 

In a big casserole dish I put:

1 onion, diced
1 red capsicum, cut into chunks
Half a big sweet potato, cut into chunks
2 carrots, cut into chunks
1 red chilli, diced
1 can Mexican beans
1 can tinned diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
Dried or fresh herbs – basil, parsley, oregano, cumin
Pepper

Chuck it in the oven for about an hour. Depending on how big the chunks are, it might take longer.
I served mine with brown rice, and gave the boy a side serve of it with brown rice and sausages.

No comments: