December 5, 2012

Rice paper rolls



It only takes the slightest warm change in the weather for me to start craving rice paper rolls again.
When I make these bad boys, they’re not those dainty little wraps you see in Vietnamese restaurants. I make some absolute whoppers, like, a fatter Chiko roll.  There’s no reasoning behind this, I just get carried away with trying to add as much salad and deliciousness as I can, and then the battle to wrap it successfully begins.
In short though, they’re amazing. When I know they’re on the dinner menu, I get excited all afternoon.
I have popped on two different meat marinades: I interchange them for the meat – pork, chicken or beef. But a simple boiled prawn would also be amazing, as would a simple grilling of the meat with no marinade at all.

Ingredients:

Marinade # 1 – Stickier BBQ flavour
2 garlic cloves, crushed,
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
½ teaspoon crushed chilli (optional)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon BBQ sauce

Marinade # 2 – herbier, lighter
10 basil leaves
3 mint leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ teaspoon crushed chilli (optional)
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Ingredients for the rolls
1 carrot, sliced julienne
1 red capsicum, sliced thinly
Quarter head of lettuce, sliced
Half cucumber, sliced julienne
Large bunch fresh mint leaves
50 grams rice vermicelli noodles, cooked, drained and cooled
Pack of fresh rice paper rolls, ready to be soaked in water
 Hoisin sauce, to serve

Unfortunately (for you guys) I have no method that is easy to describe. I visualise it like a cigar – picture a rectangle in one-third of the circular wrapper that you place all the ingredients onto. And then it’s a matter of folding the short end over it long-ways, then folding the sides over, and then rolling it all the way over.
There is a number of online tutorials, I quite like this one.

This is what my table looks like just before we chow down - salads, mint, chicken, noodles, rice paper wrappers and a tray with warm water to soften the wrappers. 




No comments: