December 29, 2011

Spaghetti bolognese

I love a good spag bol with a thick, tasty sauce. However the calories in pasta are not worth the indulgence, so I found a way to have this dish without the pasta ruining my healthy ways. I thinly slice up two carrots, julienne style to look like matchsticks and cook them quickly to use as my pasta alternative, or steam some brocolli for a quick , healthy version. Of course, boys don't care about carbs so I cook him pasta but make myself the carrot version and I don’t miss out on the good sauce!Serves two. 220 calories/serve for carrot version, 488 calories/serve for pasta version.

Ingredients:
100g lean mince beef
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 brown onion, diced
1 red capsicum, diced
1 zucchini diced
300g mushrooms, sliced
2 tbspn tomato paste
2 tins diced tomatoes
Herbs – I use basil, oregano, black pepper but use whatever you have handy.
2 carrots (per person having the carrot version)
80g pasta (I calculated the calories using San Remo fettucine style pasta, which has 450 calories/100g) – per person for those having pasta

Method:
In a large frypan, spray oil to fry up the garlic and onion for two to three minutes.
Add the mince, breaking up the big chunks as you brown it.
Add the zucchini and capsi, cook for two minutes then add the mushrooms. Cook two minutes.
Add the paste and tinned tomatoes and herbs.
Put two pots of water on the boil – one for the pasta, one for the carrots (can also cook the carrots in the microwave for about 4 minutes.) Cook al dente.
Stir sauce every now and then, add water if it’s getting too thick.
Serve up the dishes. Depending on how hungry you are, there will be probably be leftovers!

No comments: